Friday, August 17, 2012

The Valley Mix debuts it's First Issue

     As you all should know I've been in the process of editing my own magazine; you probably didn't, but it sure did make a nice opener! It's a local magazine without borders, as in I feature more than what is local to my area of residence. The magazine isn't targeting one specific demographic or gender, just anyone ages 18-35. The first issue turned out quite nicely for someone who has no formal training! I had issues starting out, but I didn't give up, I just expanded. It was going to be exclusive to the Tennessee Valley Area, but I wasn't getting very much participation. I felt like people thought I was a joke since they have never heard of me or The Valley Mix. Who's to blame them when people are tricked into scams on a daily basis?! I didn't ask for any money to be featured, but a lot of people still were skeptical- even my friends! I felt that "it sounds like a wonderful idea, if you can actually pull it off; and if you do I'd love to be a part of it" vibe. Starting my own magazine was something I was very passionate about, and I prayed about it daily. I love to write and I love almost all positive forms of entertainment: fashion, food, poetry, public events, music, crafts, etc. Getting to meet new people and network aren't bad perks either! I've met some amazing people within these last few months. Considering my situation- recovering from surgery, raising a baby (now 8 months) alone, and a car that's a hazard to drive I've been very blessed to have been able to be at the right place at the right time. I see all of those limits as just temporary! I had such a wonderful time compiling together interviews, articles, and photos; not to mention, put in hard work. I hope all of you enjoy reading it about as much as I had developing it. I'm sure everyone is sure to find at least something they like!

Check Out the First Issue of The Valley Mix

Thanks,
Courtney Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment